Baz Luhrmann’s latest film, The Great Gatsby, has set our fashion radars off big time, with everyone going crazy for vintage twenties style.
Stockings became popular in the 20s as hemlines rose, with proper tights not arriving until later with the arrival of elastane… so in a way, the twenties was when hosiery really came into its own as a fashion accessory.
There’s just something about the decadence, elegance and footloose-and-fancy-free attitude of the 20s that gets our fashion pulses rising. You can work the look for day and for night – here’s how…
Twenties style is all about glamour, but we know all out showgirl style can be tricky to work for daytime. Thankfully, you can still get a subtler, more casual twenties look by updating key retro pieces with twenty-first century accessories. Drop waisted dresses are so wearable for day – choose a cute print in a cotton or sweatshirt material, and team with decadent lace tights. Keep it casual with flat lace up brogues and a denim jacket, swapping to a blazer for the office. Silver accessories and a foxy marcel wave in your hair will finish the look off perfectly.
When night falls it’s time to vamp it up completely. Think silk, chiffon, fur and all things luxe – sparkling accessories are compulsory. Try a fringed mini dress with glittery or embellished tights and T bar heels for a true flapper girl ensemble. Try pinning longer hair up into a faux bob with hairgrips and clever backcombing, and finish with a slick of dark lip colour and – if you’re brave enough – feathers in your hair.
Our Pick of the Best 20s Tights
1) Jonathan Aston Starburst Tights: These sequin tights are ideal for adding a little twinkle to your ensemble – perfect for dancing queens.
2) Pastel Tights: Pale shades like lilac and mint are perfect for getting the twenties look – add a dash of metallic and you’re set to Charleston the night away.
3) Fishnets: Fishnet tights will give you a chic vintage style that won’t overpower a statement beaded or fringed dress. Choose a style with a back seam and score a style double whammy, or nude versions will take the subtlety one step further.
4) Lace: Lace tights just embody the whole opulence of the era – we love the Jonathan Aston Sweet Roses Tights, which also come in a hold ups or Anklets version, too!
5) Pretty Polly Nylons Range: As well as the cute retro packaging, the Nylons range boasts a super luxe, mega glossy finish. Go for the back seam tights for extra retro points!