It can be daunting how many shapewear options are available – so to help out we have pulled together a summary of the options available…
Shaping underwear products come in 5 basic shapes each with its own particular advantages:
1) The full bodysuit – perfect for when you want to look lump and bump free from top to tail.
2) Shorts or briefs to bra line – sitting just below the bra line, this shape is best for when you are wearing an outfit that accentuates and hugs your waist as it will give you a smooth line.
3) Shorts or briefs to waist – perfect if your clothing is looser on top and at the waist or only hugs across the bottom and hips. Also a good solution under trousers.
4) Slips – great for smoothing out your body under dresses and especially good to hold you in under very light or sheer skirts and dresses.
5) Hosiery – Shapewear with tights built in. When you need to wear tights these are the best solution
Spanx are currently leading the field in clothes with secret shaping properties. These revolutionary shapewear products that you wear outside your clothes currently come in two styles:
1) Leggings – Great for the gym or wearing with t-shirts and dresses for a footless look which will secretly make your bottom and legs look more toned.
2) T-shirts and tops – Spanx have recently developed a new range shaping tops which you can wear as outerwear. Great to wear on their own or under other tops for smooth lines.
3) Arm Shapers – Developed by retail guru Mary Portas for Charnos, these innovative “sleeves” will firm your upper arms and make them look slimmer. They are unique and exclusive to Charnos and are designed to be slipped on under or over your clothing to cover and firm that notorious problem area.
You’ll find some slight variations on these shapes as you browse, but these are the characteristics of most shapewear products. In general, brief bottoms are best for shorter hemlines and shorts bottoms are excellent under dresses and skirts where you want to avoid any possibility of a visible panty line. Once you have decided on the best shape, you’ll need to decide which family of products is best for you.
Probably the most well known of the shapewear brands, and a celebrity favourite for red carpet events! Spanx is also available in the widest variety of strengths and styles to help you find the perfect shaping solution, no matter what the occasion or outfit.
Spanx Slim Cognito – The strongest level of control from Spanx with targeted compression zones
Spanx Slimplicity – Strong control with a single layer of light control fabric
Spanx In Power Line – Medium control that is perfect for everyday wear, also available as tights
Spanx Undie-tectable – Light to medium control, so comfortable you’ll forget you’re wearing them
Spanx Look at Me Leggings – These look just like ordinary leggings, but will shape your bum and firm your legs
Spanx On Top and In Control – Normal looking t-shirts that w
ill secretly pull you in
This family owned brand specialise in extra firm control cut and sew shapers, which means they deliver really targeted control to focus on your problem areas and contour your body.
NAOMI & NICOLE
From the makers of Miraclesuit, Naomi & Nicole specialise in lightweight smoothing styles which are comfortable enough for every day wear. The ‘Amazing Light’ collection smooth the figure (rather than offering strong control) and feature adjustable waistbands which you can wear high or low depending on your body shape. The ‘Rear Lifting’ shapers not only control your tummy, but feature a clever band which lifts your bottom for a perkier look.
After years of trying out shapewear, our favourite celebrity stylists, Trinny & Susannah bring us their own range of magic knickers.
Revolutionary shapewear brand which not only shape your figure, but use resistance bands to help you tone your muscles and burn more calories!
Once you have seen (and felt) the results you’ll want to wear your shapewear all the time! Lots of our customers do wear them every day but I still appreciate there are plenty of you who save your figure fixers for special occasions. Either way, thinking about the shapes, necklines and hemlines you wear most often will mean you have a shapewear solution stashed away for any occasion.